I have had my tooth out so what should I know??
- Take it easy for the rest of the day and evening
- Do not over exert yourself
- Use the sterilized gauze supplied to place pressure on the extraction site, change as required until the bleeding has subsided.
- Rest with your head up to avoid bleeding
- Avoid hot food or drinks
- Avoid alcohol
- Avoid smoking
- Do not drink through a straw or suck on sweets (this sucking action my dislodge the clot)
- We advise you not to fly in a plane for 24 hours as this may start the area bleeding again
- No swimming or diving for 2 weeks after the extraction / surgery
- Sneeze with mouth open if you have a blocked nose please use a decongestant (more so for upper extractions)
- Do not rinse your mouth out for the first 24 hours as the blood clot should not be dislodged or disturbed in anyway. After this time gentle warm salt water rinses several times a day for 2 days will help with keeping the area clean.
- Cold packs can be used to reduce swelling and pain, 20 mins on and 30 mins off, do not apply ice directly to skin.
If I am in pain what will help me?
We know that there is a good chance that you will have discomfort or pain but know we are here to help you as much as possible.
Simple pain relief should be all that is required unless prescribed otherwise by your practitioner.
- DO NOT take Asprin as this may cause bleeding
- Note that if pain still persists please contact us, as you may have an infection and require some further treatment.
- We are always available to help with after care advice – Our patients can also contact us through our Facebook messenger page. (Dentist at Clyde)
Need a checkup?
Make an Appointment
Our clinic provides high-level dental services, offers comprehensive solutions for the treatment of any dental disease.